Minister of Tourism says tourist arrivals to the DR will exceed 7 million this year
The Minister of Tourism, David Collado, assured that despite the snowstorms that have been affecting several U.S. cities and Canada, the Dominican Republic will surpass the 7 million mark in tourist arrivals this year, the highest number of visitors the country has ever received.
He revealed that in spite of the weather situation in the United States, the main market of tourists to the country, “only yesterday (Wednesday) 30 thousand foreign visitors arrived from there”.
Minister Collado referred to the subject of the arrival of visitors after holding a meeting in his office with the representatives of the Cabinet of Tourism in matters of security.
He stated that as a result of the evaluation of the meeting, so far, there have been no unfortunate events involving tourists in the different destinations, neither in hotels nor in airports.
He cited as a positive balance the fact that reservations are at capacity in all the hotels in the country, as well as the airlines, so “we are doing well”.
Collado said that President Luis Abinader asked the Cabinet of Tourism to meet in order to reinforce the preventive measures in the tourist poles due to the increase of the end of the year festivities.
This meeting of the tourism security agencies with Minister Collado was attended by the director of the National Police, Major General Eduardo Alberto Then; of the Specialized Airport Security Corps, pilot Colonel Floreal Suarez Martinez, and of the Tourist Police (POLITUR), General Minoru Matsunaga.
Also present were Vice Admiral Jose Manuel Cabrera Ulloa, president of the National Drug Control Directorate (DNCD), and General Ramon Antonio Guzman Peralta, director of the DIGESETT.