From the age of 50, with the hormonal changes that women undergo, it is normal for the skin to be drier. On the face, wrinkles, sagging or blemishes may be more pronounced. But mature skin that is well cared for will continue to look radiant.
Rocío Escalante, owner of Arbosana Farmacia and expert in dermo-pharmacy, explains that “you can have beautiful skin at any age, if you take care of it daily with three basic steps: cleansing in the morning and at night, moisturizing and sun protection all year round”. In addition, the expert recommends 5 more tips.
1. Personalize your routine. “Each skin is unique and that is why it is essential to give it what it needs. We age differently: spots, loss of hydration, wrinkles, dark circles, sagging, enlarged pores… That is why I recommend visiting a professional to analyze the state of the skin and its needs to find the best skin care routine. A personalized ritual is more effective and helps the skin look healthy, regardless of age. Keep in mind that, in addition, with the passage of time, the skin’s needs change and the routine must be adapted to these changes,” says the expert.
2. Apply an antioxidant every morning. “We know that 80% of skin aging is due to the exposome (internal and external factors that cause skin aging by oxidation. The main factors are UV radiation, pollution, smoking, stress, diet, lack of sleep…). To slow down the action of free radicals that age the skin we need to use antioxidants such as vitamin C, vitamin E, ferulic acid, niacinamide or melatonin. Antioxidants prevent premature aging of the skin, as they prevent the production of free radicals and avoid their damage; they also have an anti-inflammatory action, increase collagen synthesis and, in the case of vitamin C, it is a depigmenting agent”, emphasizes Rocío Escalante.
After the age of 50, with the hormonal changes that women undergo, it is normal for the skin to be drier.
3. Reduce sugar intake. “A varied and balanced diet, rich in fruits, vegetables, cereals, legumes, fish… is essential to maintain good skin health. In addition, it is advisable to limit certain foods such as sugar and saturated fats if we want to delay skin aging. Several studies claim that they cause glycation, a chemical reaction that accelerates skin aging due to oxidative damage, inflammation and accelerated loss of collagen and elastin. Special care should be taken with hidden and added sugars in many foods and beverages such as fruit juices, soft drinks, sweetened cereals, ice cream, sausages… as well as processed and ultra-processed foods,” says the dermo-pharmacy expert.
4. Perform a deep cleansing once a week. According to the expert, “in addition to the daily routine, it is advisable to dedicate a deeper care once or twice a week. This will make a big difference in the condition of the skin, helping to prolong its youth, avoiding wrinkles, blemishes, dehydration…. To do this, it is essential to choose products suitable for each skin type. The options are endless: cleansing with an electronic device, mechanical, chemical or enzymatic exfoliators and peelings, masks… The key to the success of this routine is to be consistent and use an effective product”.
5. Take care of the neck and décolleté. “The face ends at the décolleté and we should take care of that skin in the same way, including the neck. These are two areas that we tend to forget about and that after the age of 50 or even earlier show signs of aging such as wrinkles, dehydration, sagging or spots. We recommend taking care of the neck and décolleté in the same way as the face, i.e. daily cleansing, morning and evening, moisturizing, sun protection, especially when exposed, exfoliation, etc. We can also incorporate specific care for the neck and décolleté”.